Wednesday 5 November 2008

1460

The number of days gone since I landed on the shores of this small island called England. It was the day after the worst political debacle of my lifetime (so far). I remember rocking up to the pub that night and being accosted straight away for being a septic piece of shit. All I did was order a pint, so I was appropriately taken aback at all of the hostility and pent up anger of a nation being unleashed on me. Also I had no idea what septic meant. Fast forward 4 years and I have somehow managed to win over the Brits. Well, not all of them, but enough. I now also speak more cockney then I would like (and more then CB would like for that matter) and I can throw down with the best of them. I coward away from the bar 4 years ago and slinked back to my table of colleagues. I didn't even relay the story for fear that something I had done had immediately zeroed me out. Ahh hindsight is 20/20. I now know that the only thing I did wrong was open my mouth. I spent the next year wondering what I had done and why I was in this rainy miserable country. The following year I tallied up the number of countries I had been to in 1 year, the friends from all over the world that I had made and the incredible fun to be had. That was the year I learned to love this rainy miserable country. The third year I went to Australia for holiday and never wanted to come back. I again asked myself what I was doing in this rainy miserable country. But I did come back and I met CB and I changed jobs and was never more grateful for the rainy miserable country I called home. That was nearly 2 years ago now. Embarking on my 5th year in London feels like an accomplishment, I am still alive and still have my original liver. Result! I have only been robbed 3x, had my bank account cloned 3x and had my identity nicked once. Oh and there was that brawl in the pub. Never mind. I think that's a stellar record for four years as a London Lass.

I woke up early this morning in anticipation that America had got it right this time and I could once again stand up as a proud American girl. While in the shower (I was too excited to turn the news on first) I thought of how much I have changed in the last 4 years. Some bad (I HATE when my commute is interrupted because someone has flung themselves in front of the Tube-On your own time people!) but mostly good. I love London and I love my life here, but for the first time in a long time I love that I am American too. We finally got it right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear the abuse you got from my fellow dickheads. On the plus side, I'd start talking loudly from now on.
We had an American lady come into the shop on Wednesday, and we congratulated her on Obama's win. She was frankly amazed at how many people in London were happy about him winning.

Girl Friday said...

Dont be sorry Fweng, it was neccessary to toughen me up. I was all soft and LA before. Now I am suitably jaded. People the world over are happy about Obama. In all my travels, the last 3 months have been the most eye opening. It's great to see America realising the global impact they have and doing something to (hopefully) effect change.