Friday 2 January 2009

Start as you mean to carry on

When I read a book, especially a great book, it takes me nearly as much time to read the last few chapters as it did the rest of the story. If I'm really enjoying a read, I don't want it to end. I don't want the words to stop seeping into my conscience. Similarly when a year has been good, I hold on to the last few days with an irrational fear that ushering in a new year presents the risk of losing the goodness of the past year. I've learned, however, that it's possible for each year to get better and that all the positive experiences and disappointments from the previous years make the successes that much sweeter.

There are loads of conventional things that I don't believe in, New Years resolutions are one of them. I think commitments made in the wake of Decembers general over indulgences are bound to fail. My view is that goals should be set and checked continually through the year. I think the idea that setting New Year's resolutions absolves one of general responsibility for the remainder of the year is rubbish.

Last year was smashing by all accounts for me, but it went so quickly I feel like I blinked in January and I opened my eyes in December. Each year seems to go by quicker, but I guess when we were kids the adults always warned us that would happen. If I can achieve one thing this year both personally and professionally, it will be to learn to slow down and enjoy the here and now before tomorrow is gone. With the happiness that 2008 brought me I practiced this intentionally and willfully for the last couple weeks of the year. I ate, drank, slept and enjoyed the company of friends and loved ones. Great at the time with two weeks off work, but Monday was a bit of a shock to the system. That said, I am stopping to smell the roses more often. Well, admire the ice as it may be, it's really too cold to smell anything right now.

*Sorry for the lack of pretty pictures, something is wrong with Blogger tonight

2 comments:

digressica said...

Stopping to admire the ice. I love it!

Come to think of it, I did exactly that on the weekend. The ponds in Regent's Park were all covered in a thin layer of ice, and the ducks all looked like they were ice-skating. It was hilarious and lovely.

Really liked this post, am going to implement it in my 2009.

Girl Friday said...

Fantastic! Given that we live in same area as well, we may be admiring the same ice some times!