Tuesday 27 January 2009

The Ex Files

In preparation for the prospect of the end of my single life I as I knew it (also known as living in sin) I deliberated back in November over The Ex Files. Turned out we had to delay the move until March of this year, but never the less, the seed was planted. In the end I decided that one box wouldn't kill anyone but that I would go through the ex files this year before we moved and make a decision. I started weeding through some of it tonight and found more then just the cards and notes I had remembered stashing. I found ticket stubs and theatre programmes, long letters and foreign postcards, but the biggest surprise were all the photos. I made some observations:
  • In our youth, I don't think we realise our beauty. In contrast with age I think we overlook the beauty that comes with wisdom in an endless search for the boobs/legs/arse we had at 24
  • In the throws of falling head over heals one never thinks, when will this end
  • Love means different things to different people
  • I will always trust my instincts or at least try
  • I will never again forget who I am regardless of who someone else wants me to be
  • Love means learning how to say I'm sorry
  • Beauty is truly skin deep
  • A leopard never changes their spots
  • Laugh and the world laughs with you, one drink too many and the world laughs at you
  • People can come and go in life but you always take bits of them with you
Most importantly I genuinely feel that all of the heartbreak and drama, the does he doesn't he, the will he won't he, the tears, the anger...it's all behind me. In the best way possible, I feel like my single life as I knew is ending soon. For the first time ever I am excited rather then afraid of that. I think the Ex Files might be ready for disposal.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, I envy you.

My Ex Box scares the hell out of me, but no more than the thought of all the future eejits I'm yet to endure...

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

My ex bought me the box which now contains the ex files. Try that on for size. I can't chuck the box, it's lovely.

The contents definitely aren't ready to go :(

Girl Friday said...

Blonde-Hang in there, once you make the types of decisions you have made, I promise, things turn around. The hardest part is making the decision.
PDEWYMO-I bought my ex a box for his ex files when I was leaving him. Quite manipulative me thinks ;) I think when the contents are ready to go, you'll just know.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that men don't overlook the boobs/legs/arses anyone has at 24.

Or thereabouts.

Girl Friday said...

Fweng: Welcome back. Yes, I am sure you didn't over look them, but I think as women a lot of us may have. I love the people who won't let you off the train as well, I think my outburst will be directed at one them next time.