Thursday 10 April 2008

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder


In a vain attempt to reclaim some of what was formerly known as my health, I decided to give up alcohol, sugar and basically anything processed for the month of April. Strange combination of things one might think, but it was born out of the need to return to my regularly scheduled eating habits, whilst still not appearing a drip or a fussy Westerner during the many business trips that flank my weeks and months. Sugar and alcohol can be avoided in any country as opposed to things like dairy or wheat or whatever the fad "go without" of the moment might be. Also, living closer to a lovely park coupled with brighter mornings and longer days has reignited my motivation for running. So, with one fell swoop, I gave things up (for a limited time only), signed up for a Race for Life run (BTW if you want to sponsor me and didn't receive my email pleading for money, drop me a note and I'll send you the link to my fundraising site) and returned to my former ways of healthy thinking. Its been fantastic. I feel loads better already at less then 2 weeks in and have realised that the only major tweak I am making is the alcohol deprivation.
Abstinence is not a word I throw around lightly. I don't condone it when it pertains to most things (particularly in the traditional sense of the word) as I believe that moderation is the key to success, health and happiness. Who cares if your stick thin if you are a miserable twat who desperately needs a krispy kreme. That said, I knew that despite a short refrain from the wine I love, the vodka and soda that calls my name and most importantly the champagne with which I have built a loving relationship; they would still be there for me when I decided to be their friend again. As NicB has been staying with me, he has been cooking lovely meals. In addition to the lovely meals, he picks up after himself, goes out of his way to make sure that my life is easier and does nice things like run me a bath before I get home from work if he thinks I had a long day.* Ok, I digress, but you have to admit that's pretty amazing stuff and worth bragging about. Anyway, I realised how accustom my palate is to the compliments of wine with a good meal. The wine is the only thing I really miss. The boy actually caught me gazing longingly at his glass of vino the other night during Sunday roast. I think I have actually built up the pairings to a point where my expectations are unrealistic. While he was trying to enjoy his wine, I was pressing him to dissect the flavours, identify the layers and describe the body of the red I had chosen for him with dinner. So now I reckon my first meal with a nice glass of wine in May is going to be a let down, because the hype could be more then the reality. Sad Sad life I lead.

*Before you all say it, YES I know that all relationships are like this in the beginning and if we actually lived together things would not be all roses and chirping birds. BUT, I will enjoy it while it lasts and not look for the end. It's too good to spoil.

1 comment:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

A little discipline in life is good. Will make that wine so much sweeter.