Thursday 3 April 2008

Irritated in Istanbul

Nothing against the Turkish people, but WTF? Are we not in the year 2008? Could you maybe try to catch up, I mean even to 2000 would be nice. Some thoughts and advice on how to bring Istanbul into the 20th century:


  • Smoking indoors isn't even allowed in the UK anymore and the UK isn't exactly progressive on the front of banning things. If you must smoke, inside, does it have to be DURING our business meeting?

  • Well done you for beating Chelsea in the footie last night. I mean, the Blues are rubbish this year, but nevermind. Rioting isn't really a socially acceptable pass time any longer. Especially when you are rioting because you WON! Get a grip people.

  • It's rude to stare. It's even more rude to stop, stare and then instruct all of your slimey associates to do the same.

  • I like that fact that you have metal detectors everywhere, but they aren't any use when you let everyone walk through them and only require that the bloke in front of me (who does not appear to be a police officer) hand over his gun whilst he walks through. Glad you handed it back to him on the other side. I feel so much safer now.

  • No kind taxi driver sir, I will not give you a kiss in exchange for my cab fare. Whilst your offer is tempting, I think that creeps into the area of prostitution.

  • The car horn has a purpose, figure out what it is. Even in New York people don't use it as an arm rest or pillow or bed or whatever it is that you are doing to cause a constant stream of beeping.

  • I know when you are talking about me! I may not speak Turkish, but I am not deaf. Ok, that wasn't exactly something that would bring Istanbul into 20th century, but it's also rude and not the done thing.


I'm too tired to whinge any more. Given the riots and beeping are all on my front doorstep, I'm sleeping even less then normal. I will say that of all the times I have been here I have come to love some things. I just can't remember what they are right now.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

IF YOU ARE SO KEEN ABOUT TALKING OF SMOKING-YOU SCHOULD KNOW WHAT HUMAN RIGHTS ARE .
SMOKING PEOPLE ARE NOW AS MUCH ENEMY TO THE HOMAN RACE AS TERROISTS ARE .
WE ARE HUNTED ALL PLACES .WE HAVE TO LEAVE OUR JOBS IF WE STILL WANT TO SMOKE .WE SOON WILL BE HUNTED JUST FOR BUYING A PACKET OF CIGARETS .
WHAT ABOUT ALL THE CARS IN THE STREETS .IF YOU SIT AT AN OPEN-AIR RESTAURANT YOU WILL GET MORE SICK FROM THE GAS FROM THE CARS THAN FROM PEOPLE SMOKING NEAR YOU.
IF YOU DONT LIKE SMOKE THEN GO TO THE PLACE ---BUT LEAVE ALL SMOKERS IN PEACE AND LET THEM SMOKE AT PLACES WHERE IT IS ALLOWED TO SMOKE ---WILL YOU TELL YOUR GUESTS NOT TO SMOKE ?????
WITH KIND REGARDS " YOUR SMOKING ENEMY "

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Ummm, take it easy Polle60 (ALL CAPS? REALLY??). Maybe a cigarette will calm you down.

Anyway, great post.

Girl Friday said...

polle 60- Per another readers suggestion, chill the hell out, go have a cancer stick and while you're at it:
A. Learn how to spell
B. Defend the rights of Turkey if you like, but smoking? This post wasn't even about that
C. Know that you're an idiot and I don't care about your rights

CR-
Way to have my back ;)

jiminycricket said...

Ha! This is brilliant!
polle60 obviously came across your blog through a bungled google search whilst looking for places in Turkey in which one can both shout and smoke simultaneously.

Wrong place, dumbass.

I'm so late on this that now I look almost as stupid.

I can't believe someone could be so incensed by your post to go to such an effort! You should be honoured gf!