Monday 7 April 2008

The price of love

I am absolutely besotted with my new neighbourhood. I spent the day Saturday running along the canals, tooling through Regents Park and puttering around my flat. Feeling a bit peckish, I stopped off at the local gourmet deli, when to what did my wandering eyes appear? One of my favourite snacks from America, Wheat Thins and Light Cream Cheese. (I realise that none of my readers outside North America will understand what this snack is, but never mind, you'll get the point). Along with some other items, I purchased these snacks and headed home.

Later in the evening I popped in a newly aquired Entourage DVD and slumped into the sofa to have a good fix of home, WT & CC in hand. It was only then that I noticed the price tags and saw that I had paid the equivilant of $14 USD for a snack that would cost about $5 at most any store in the US. After I got over my initial shock, I started thinking of all the things over the years that I have spent obscene amounts of money on, just for the sake of comfort. Food, products, plane tickets. There is no price too high when happiness of the heart (or Tummy) is on the line.

In other lurve news, I had a lengthy conversation with a friend on Friday night, who also reads my blog, about the public image I have crafted for CB. She rightly pointed out that he is no longer the CB that I first wrote about a year ago. Therefore he needs a new name. So, from hereforthwitherto he shall be known as NicB (New, improved, cricket Boy). So NicB and I are playing house this week as he has a class in London and is staying at mine. Ahhh, it's divine. I do however have something hanging over my head that I need to come clean about this week and I am absolutely dreading it. Come clean is probably not the right expression, as it's not as if I have done something wrong that I have hidden. It's more a matter of being upfront about something from a long time ago that I don't readily volunteer with people. I would just as soon leave unsaid unspoken, but popular demand from my mates has brought the issue to the forefront of my mind and I now think I have to proactively bring it up.

Any tips* on discussing sensitive matters whilst not wanting to jump out the window before the person has a chance to respond?


*Yes I realise, my job requires me to teach people how to do this, but give me a break. I teach people how to do this en mass, not 1:1 when love is on the line.


2 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Before I can offer tips, I'll need to know what said sensitive issue is...

Girl Friday said...

Thanks Z boy. Did done and over with. It was SO not a big deal, that I had made into a big deal in my head. NicB actually giggled at me (in that cure way that English posh blokes do) when I finally told him. He was amazed that I was so nervous about it, didn't even seem to phase him.