Friday 9 May 2008

Judgement Day

I am judgemental, it's true. There, I said it. I can't remember what show I saw it on (Maybe SATC) but there was this line when one of the women said, we judge, it's what we do. Lest ye be dismayed, know (if you don't have first hand knowledge) that magnifying glass with which I scrutinize the world is 5x stronger when turned it on myself. Oh yes, I am my own worst critic. Neverthless, yesterday I had a few observations (magnifying glass firmly in place) that I noted down and thought I would share.


  • Does anyone else find it odd that so many people do not seem to dress for their surroundings? I know I had a go a couple weeks back re: Casual Friday's, so my angst is well documented. This, however, goes beyond dressing for work into dressing for...oh how do you say it, life? Yesterday, our fine city was the recipient of this lovely thing called sun and its friend, warmth. Now sun and warmth don't visit Blighty all that often, so I can kind of excuse people for not having the best fashion sense when they do. However, I reckon it's only common sense to NOT wear a cashmere jumper with a long sleeved collared blouse underneath when temperatures reach 25. This was also the person who was whinging that it was hot on the train. Blimey luv, take a look outside before you get dressed next time. The man next to her was wearing a puffer. Sheesh. I don't know which is worse, the people who come to work in a wife beater and mini denim skirt because presumably these are the only items of clothing they own for warm weather, or the folks dressed for Antarctica

  • What's with the shouting that goes on when people are talking to one another in public surrounded by a bunch of quiet people. Do you not know that you are shouting? Or are you so self involved that you think everyone else wants to hear you and your friend banter back and forth about the events that led to you finally finding one another after hours of trying to connect. "And then, I was like, a'right, so now what" "yeah mate and that was when you called right!" "yeah, and I was all, you a'right! and you were like no mate, I'm lost" "Right mate and then I was like, I'm lost too like, where are you lost?" "a'right, yeah, I was lost and so were you. Where were you lost?" "Mate I don't know, I was lost like, right?" I kid you not when I say that if you could even call this a conversation, it continued on a very quiet bus for a good 20 minutes. In case you're in suspense, I'll tell you how the story ends, they remained lost and realised they were standing at the same place the whole time after 2 hours

  • Men: Has the hoot, holler, whistle and suck tactic of attracting a woman's attention ever actually worked for you? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm doubtful you are pulling any quality tail with those methods. Yet, you continue. I'll let you in on a little secret about us women, one comment, whistle, up and down look can be a bit flattering. A 30 second stream of calamity in a public place (ie Street, Club, Train, Restaurant, Bar) is embarrassing and will get you nowhere with anyone you would want to take home. Be warned what other things you might pick up if you pull a bird in this manner. I'm just saying

  • Personal hygiene is even more important when it's warm out. 'Nough said

  • Washing anything that you may consume in public toilets is disgusting. Washing your fruit and then eating it in the toilets is even more appalling. Worse still is walking out and offering that same toilet fruit to your colleagues. I am not taking the piss BTW, this really did happen. I saw the whole thing


This edition of judgement day was brought to you by the letter N. N is for Negative Nancy.

No comments: