Wednesday 7 May 2008

Mixing Business and Pleasure

YUCK. Honestly, nearly 24 hours after the incidents and all I can say is YUCK. Last night I attended a black tie awards ceremony at the bequest of my employer. I did it for my job, my career, nay some may say the call of duty, but not by choice. If you aren't in a schmoozy industry, then you may not understand when I say this, but those things are not really "fun." They should be. There's good food, lots of wine and typically a really great band or singer. Plus everyone gets dressed up and it's nice to see people outside of work. But you see, it's still work for me. In PR, you are NEVER "off." You are permanently upholding the corporate reputation of whoever pays your bills (clients if you are agency side, mothership if you are in house) whilst those around you crumble like houses built of sand the moment the champagne is corked. And don't get me started on some peoples interpretation of Black Tie. If I did open letters like Cherry, I'd have one for someone last night: Dear woman whose hoo hoo I could see due to her dress being more "tie me up and spank me" then "black tie". Anyway, as usual, I digress.

I was sat next to a very nice (and I am sure well intentioned) journo who I happily chatted shop and more with all through dinner. Despite the very overt offers he made as to marrying me if I were single (bless) throughout the lovely 3 course meal, I couldn't help but notice one of our very senior VP's practically snogging his PA at the table just directly in my eye line. The evening wore on and the wine took effect and the act hit the stage. This was the tipping point. The point when things happen that you just can't take back. For snuggles at the next table it took the form of calling in a favour to get a room by the hour at this rather posh hotel. Cept, they couldn't seem to wait till they got to the room and proceeded to very publicly display their apparent admiration for each other. Did I mention they are married? TO OTHER PEOPLE. My tipping point was the extended hand of above mentioned bloke who declared he wanted to "take things to the next level." This happens to me quite often at these types of things and I am quite sure it's for 2 reasons:

1. I am actually a decent person who enjoys conversation with others, especially those involving: cooking, travel, wine, food, art, theatre. I think this often gets misinterpreted as flirting as I can apparently be too nice.

2. Because I would never ever flirt whilst working (call me uptight) I tend to stay off the booze for the most part at these functions. Don't get me wrong, I have some wine, but I am careful not to get pissed. Others however get very pissed and then what could have been misinterpreted as flirting becomes a full blown invitation to "get closer."


Lucky for me I have an agency now and shot the girls a look so fierce they knew they had to follow us to the dance floor and quickly rescue me. As for the PDA couple, I can't say the outcome was so rosy. As I have said before, my company is VERY corporate, their new found fondness for each others bodies was not well received.

No comments: