Thursday 8 November 2007

Good at Something

I was struggling to iron my suit this morning. The suit is silk and the iron kept spewing water everywhere. Silk and water don't mix. Now for anyone who hasn't been to countries where hired help is the norm, let me explain. It keeps people employed who otherwise wouldn't have jobs, they are treated very very well and in some cases become part of the family. In no way since I have been in Africa have I seen any of the helpers treated poorly, nor do they ever seem unhappy. They sing whilst they work and seem more then pleased to help with things. So I called housekeeping in a panic and asked if they could press it for me. Of course they replied, of course. I laughed and said "I'm rubbish, I tried and I can't do it, I'm sorry." She belly laughed along with me and replied, "That's already darling, you are very good at something else and that's what matters." Everytime I am down on myself for not being able to do EVERYTHING perfectly, I am going to remember this.

2 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Hmm, I will have to remember that too.

(Once I figure out something I am good at!)

ReckenRoll said...

I am good at reading blogs. Does that count?

:)