Wednesday 30 January 2008

Reap what we sow?

I love London, truly I do. In fact I get highly annoyed with people who continue to live here and complain about it non stop. That said, this has been the most unimpressive 24 hour London experience I have had in ages. Sequence of events went something like this:

When I got home from work at 9 last night, something seemed amiss with Girl Friday's Bod. Sussing exactly what it was in a matter of minutes, I racked my brain to figure out if there was a 24 hour chemist anywhere that I knew of. No, course not. I mean how American of me to even ask myself this question. I proceeded to perform home remedy (will spare you the particulars) in an attempt to ward off imminent illness.
Woke up at 4:00am, body in full rebellion of non medical treatment. That was me, off to the A&E. Check in, no problem. Wait in waiting room with bums who clearly would have frozen to death sleeping outside, so logical best alternative is A&E. No bother. 30 minutes later (have I mentioned it was ONLY me and the bums in the waiting area?) a nurse called me in for in take. Just gone 5am now and GF's self diagnosed condition has gotten a bit worse, not unbearable but worse. After in take am put in another holding area where any and every sound emanating from beds in A&E is audible. Use your imagination, but suffice to say it wasn't pleasant. On that note I request to use the ladies. I am directed to the most vile and filthy loo I have seen outside of holes in the ground in some countries I have travelled to. Wee was everywhere and the sink didn't work but did have the lovely addition of blood splattered in the basin. Super. I take my seat again after seeking out an alternative sink to wash my hands in. Nurse approaches me again and says she needs another blood sample as she forgot to test my other one for ALL the required things. Me=puzzled look and brief to nurse in state of affairs in loo. "Ahh, shame" she says and then hands me another blood vile which I am meant to fill. Sweet. It's now nearing 6am. For maths challenged people I have been in the A&E for almost 2 hours now. Without over sharing, trust me when I tell you that what was wrong with me DID NOT require more then 10 minutes of a skilled professionals time. Dr. calls me and I hand him new blood vile explaining the need for a second sample. "Oh, you didn't need to do that, the test she mentioned isn't necessary, we know you have exactly what you think you do" Again, SWEET! 5 minutes later, that's me gone home to shower and be on my way to work with drugs and questionable advice from the Physician already ticked off this morning.
I get to Paddington early to hit Boots (again, I grew up in California and think that herbs and natural things cure ailments better then drugs, although I am taking the drugs as well) for some naturopath additions to my repertoire as well as some water. Again, the Cali girl in me pretty much thinks water can wash away a myriad of sins. Procure sought after potions and see a ladder forming in my tights. Rats. La Senza (sexy lingerie, but also practical stockings) it is. Sales girl would clearly rather be anywhere but here and lets me know that I am the bain of her existence. Scurry on to train and decide not to grab a seat as massive intake of water is already neccesitating loo trip. Train departs late (of course) and oh joy of joys, loo is out of order. Uh huh, ok...doing a dance and hoping the traffic from train station to office is not so bad. WRONG! I am sat in traffic just about to bust and happen to be keeping the company of a hot Argentinian man who likely wondered why I was sitting that way and fidgeting so much.
There is no moral to this story no knowledge to be gleaned by others. Perhaps the lesson learned is, don't get too comfortable in anything, if you do you may be punished.

1 comment:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

O joy. As you know, I loved my time in London, excpet when I got sick.

I hope you are doing better!