Tuesday 10 June 2008

Ciao Bella

I once had an Italian boyfriend, well he lived in Switzerland, but he was Italian. Like mafioso Italian. I mean not literally, but apparently his parents were big wigs. We travelled a lot together and we would literally be half way around the world and he would run into a family friend. I kid you not. One time it happened in front of other people and I was so relieved as they no longer thought I was making up stories. We lived countries apart and I think the only thing that kept me interested for more then a minute, was the way he said goodnight to me on the phone, Ciao Bella. Anyway, that actually has nothing to do with this post, but it does illustrate where my mind is...HOLIDAY mode. Per my reference in the last post, the Boy and I are headed to Italy in exactly 10 days. To most people that probably seems light years away, but to me (who has not had a relaxing holiday since xmas) it's practically all I can think about. Focusing on anything else is a chore at the moment. The picture above is the actual villa we are staying in, not even one like that or something sorta similar. THAT ONE. I think it may also be my first dignified holiday. What, you ask, does GF mean by "dignified"? Well, a friend and I were having a discussion this morning about my oldness, actually I had this discussion with 2 friends. One noticed first hand that I seem to be more mellow and the other picked it up from reading my blog. The truth is, I am far happier in my new sedated state then I was when I was out 3-5 nights a week and struggling to get out of bed most mornings. Some of it does have to do with NicB as he's a very calming factor in my life, but mostly it started with my new (not new any longer) job. Up until a month or so ago I was travelling so much that I didn't have time to hang out in a "pub or club" setting with mates. I literally got to see them like 1-2x a month, so quality time was really important to me. Wine and cheese at mine or a quiet dinner became de rigueur. When I was home for Christmas, I just decided I needed a break from the constant going out. I needed to recharge my batteries and focus on the things that I knew made me happiest. If going out fit in with that, great, but if it didn't the things on the happy list would win. So you see, I decided this morning that I am not old, rather I am dignified. On my dignified holiday, I am looking forward to, in no particular order:
  • Wine tasting. Puglia is the region that exports the most wine in Italy. It's usually mixed with other wines, but apparently it's still quite good in its own right
  • Olive Oil tasting
  • Seafood. Coast? Italy? Need I say more?
  • Cave Exploring
  • Beaches. It's on the Adriatic Sea, so the beaches are meant to be tops and the water quite warm. NicB and I are both water babies, so I anticipate lots of time in the sea
  • Nothing
  • Read
  • Not getting out of bed until I feel like it or until I decide to transport my lazy arse to sleep in the sun
  • EAT! This region was conquered by every country under the sun, Romans, Greeks, Turks..so it has an amazingly diverse culinary landscape. The Boy has even decided to look into some local specialties and cook in a couple nights with fresh ingredients as we have an outside dining area and a BBQ
  • Nothing
  • Not go to bed until I feel like it or decide to transport my lazy arse out of the sun and into the villa

There are of course other things, but at the risk of inducing hurl reflexes from most of you, I will skip the "I'm so loved up I make myself want to vomit" things on my list. Also, I am dignified and dignified people probably skip the sweet stuff.

No comments: