Friday 6 June 2008

I am Old (Part Duex)

As a follow on to my first post on this matter, I bring you a continuation of proof that while I may look young, I am in fact old. Not old chronologically mind you, but old in my ways. It would seem that although NicB is considerably trailing in years, he's far surpassed me in old person behaviours. I blame him for my recent pensioners activities. These activities include, but are not limited to:
  • Spending the better part of the last bank holiday weekend completing a Jigsaw puzzle. In my defence, this was NOT my idea. It was however addictive and I quickly got sucked in

  • Booking a holiday that specifically met the requirement of seeing as few people as possible. Back in the day (erm, ok last summer) I used to book party get aways. 1 week in Ibiza, 3 weeks touring Australia with a pit stop in Singapore. When we sat down and looked at the criteria for where our holiday in a few weeks time would be, there were 4 important factors: Sun, Food, Wine, No other People. We decided on a self catering Trullo in Puglia, when I shared this locale with my friend in Milan, she said, Why so far from the people? Apparently it is known for being remote and secluded. I can't wait

  • Reading an article that showed a wedding photo of Obama with the caption married in 1992 and thinking wow, he's newly married. Yeah, 1992 was 16 years ago. Somehow any year I can remember now seems like yesterday

  • People have started asking me when I am going to have children. I am not married, I am not engaged and, unless other people know something I don't, I am nowhere CLOSE to either one of those things. When I responded with such to one of the women pestering me the other day, she literally said SO? So? I said. Yes (she's Italian, so this is really what she said), youa don't need be a married, this 2008, you hava a baby alone. Great, thanks. Just what I always wanted, to get knocked up and purposely set out to raise a child on my own. Even when you actually HAVE a partner it's a 50/50 crap shoot whether you will stay together through that child's upbringing. Anyway, the fact that people are asking me this leads me to believe that I am nearing a socially unacceptable age to be unmarried and baby less. Hrumph

  • I have started noticing the price of things, like fruit. Bananas at X store are £3, while at X shop they are only £2.50. I do realise that the economy is tight everywhere, but still......

  • I tried to be down with the kids on Wed and go out to the pub on a school night. I used to do this routinely, like 3 times a week, no biggie. I was the first person to leave on Wed at 11:30 and then spent all day Thursday in a hungover fog. I am not the girl I used to be

  • I had to tick a box on a form yesterday that said 31+, there wasn't even anything else above that. 14-17, 18-24, 25-30 and then 31+....really? That's it, I am now at the end of my range. I am the OLD box

  • I have a 5 year plan. The only other time I had a 5 year plan was in University, it was: finish

  • NicB pinched the skin on my hand a week or so ago and exclaimed, isn't it funny how when you get older, your skin doesn't bounce back from a pinch as quickly

  • He also (not on the same day), whilst trying to tell me in his special boy way that he loved all of me, threw in for good measure, even your chubby bits, I love them best. Right. Ok. I am a tiny girl and I am quite sure that up until a year or so ago, no one would have ever thought to include "chubby bits" on the list of things they loved about me

  • Speaking of weight, I used to be able to shift weight by tweaking a couple of simple things. Portions or leaving out booze for a week or cutting out sugar. Now I have one day of eating poorly and it takes me a week to get back to normal, despite the fact that I am the most active person I know and run around most days like a chicken with my head cut off



That's all I have for you this week. Maybe I will start regressing soon and can write posts about how YOUNG I am getting.

2 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

It is freakishly disturbing to me how much I can relate to this post. Well done, chica!

PS - the trip sounds amazing!

Girl Friday said...

CR: I think the sad fact of the matter is that we are all growing up, I never thought it would happen, but alas...And yes, I am very very excited about the trip.