Monday 16 June 2008

The One That Got Away

Inspired by an alcohol fuelled day of BBQs on Sat, loose lipped GF spilled the beans on some past suitors that have been, well less then suitable in the end. One in particular was the subject of this post and coincidentally he has been re-telling the story but turned the tables. Basically I told the dude I didn't want to see him anymore. This was on account of NicB resurfacing and my little heart knowing that it was all or nothing, I couldn't be half in half out with NicB. Septic wasn't the first bloke that lost his cool when I pulled the plug on a brief fling, but the other guy was ages ago. It came up in conversation with a mate from the US this week. She asked me if I had heard from Septic, I said I had actually and she asked if he went JP on my arse.

JP was a nice boy, a country mouse in the city if you will, who had more then a few life lessons to learn about love and relationships. I dated him on a break from one of my great loves who turned out to be a great liar. In any case, JP knew that I had recently split from someone significant. We met on a night out with friends and after enjoying some witty banter, realised that we were both going to the Modest Mouse show the next weekend. We decided to meet up there and see how things went. We had a great time, but then you would at a concert where not much idle chat is happening. We had a drink post show and agreed to meet up again for happy hour the following week. During the first martini, he was relaying a story to me about his week, how he had chatted to his mum and told her about me. Uh huh, yeah, not the right thing to say to someone who is gun shy to begin with, but also still reeling from the scorn of another. I high tailed it out of there and in a very mature 26 year old way, I just stopped returning his calls. We bumped into each other at a bar a few weeks later, I apologised and explained that my life was really complicated and that I would rather not involve anyone else in the drama. Ok, so it was partly true, but also I thought a nice way of letting the poor bloke off so he could get his deposit back on the church he had surely booked for our imminent wedding.

Fast forward about 3 months and I end up at a party which happens to be at his house (he had 3 housemates, 1 of whom had invited my friend who had invited me, and I didn't know he lived there as well). He proceeded to get extremely pissed over the course of the evening. Once he was well and truly sloshed, he thought it the appropriate time to try and re-kindle the romance that never was. He cornered me outside in front of about 30-40 people and demanded an explanation for why I jilted him. Sticking to my guns I reiterated that my life was complicated and that I preferred not to involve anyone else in the chaos. He then started shouting at me pointing out my obvious oversight of him being one of the good ones. A nice guy. A guy that girls want to marry. I'm still astonished that I let that one go, but I guess you don't know a good thing till it hits you in the face. Literally.

The moral of the story is, peeps is crazy, and it's always good until it's not. In love and break ups all is fair, but karma would say that your transgressions will come back to haunt you. Septic, I'd take back those false stories if I were you.

No comments: